Wednesday, January 1, 2014

30 in 30 Challenge -- Day 2


Here is my second painting for the challenge.  It is a green pear.  Growing up, there was a pear tree in our backyard that produced some of the sweetest pears I had ever tasted.  I loved them at all stages of their growth--just turning ripe, ripe, and overly ripe.  This is one fruit that tastes different at each stage, yet delicious.  My mom made all types of goodies with the pears--pear preserves, stewed pears, pear tarts, pear flap jacks, pear brandy, you name it.  The pears provided many years of fruitful goodness for our family.  

I don't know how long that pear tree had been around, but it had been there in our backyard years before I was born.  It was struck by lightning a couple of times over the years, and in the last few years it was finally taken out by another lightning strike.  We had to have it cut down since it was not producing pears anymore.

When I painted this green pear, I wasn't sure what color background I wanted.  I added a mixture of Sap Green and Titanium White to the background but felt it was too light.  I then darkened the background with Sap Green and Thalo Blue.  I like how the green on green complements each other.  





“Green Pear”
5 1/4  x 5 3/4 inches
 Acrylic on 140 lb. Watercolor Paper



I would love to know what you think about the painting.  Please post your comments in the Comment section below.  

I'll be posting daily, so come back tomorrow to see another one of my paintings!  Also check out my postings on Facebook and Twitter.  Please share with your family and friends.
.

To receive detailed views of my paintings, sign in below (IT'S FREE).  Your email will never be shared.


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

4 comments:

  1. You are so right! I love the green on green and there is such life and movement in this pear! beautifully painted. I feel the story of the now gone pear tree shines through in the painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne. I appreciate the sentiments.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful green on green! And now I want a pear tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cindy. I miss that pear tree. I appreciate the comments.

      Delete